Thursday, July 7, 2011

A bicycle in every city



In Rotterdam, where I live, I bicycle to work every day. I bicycle to the shops, to my friends, to restaurants and sports clubs. On occasion I get wet, I get sunburned, I get tired or I have a flat tire. Never mind. Cycling is my daily mode of transport. So what happens when I need to travel to another town? It's very simple: I have a bicycle in every city.

My railway pass gives me access to rental bikes at train stations all over The Netherlands. Cycling through another city instantly changes the way you feel about it. You're not a stranger any more, you have begun to belong. You're immediately mobile, independent, no need to wait for trams or buses, or to negotiate with taxi drivers. And no need to take the car, either. It's really a brilliant system!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Christine... this story is very inspiring... We can do it in India too....

    ReplyDelete